About Raja Sunflower Seed
Sunflower is the most important oil-seed crop in the world with a ranking of fourth in worldwide production. It is one of the fast-growing plant. Called as surajmukhi ke beej in Hindi, they serve as a dual purpose by providing protein and oil both. Being greyish green or black in colour, sunflower seeds are embedded in tear shaped grey or black shells. One sunflower contains up to 2000 seeds. 30 gm of shelled sunflower seeds contains approximately 50% of daily requirement of Vitamin E. Also, sunflower seeds are power packed with antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, copper, zinc, folate, iron, phytochemicals and unsaturated fats. Being a rich source of nutrients, and low on cholesterol, sunflower seeds improve digestion, brain power, and functioning of cardio-vascular system. Wheat being the staple in our country, if supplemented with sunflower seeds, the protein content of wheat flour increases. With an increase of 1 degree in temperature of sunflower seed oil, about 2% increase in oleic acid happens.
- decreases the risk of abnormal growth of cells
- helps in anti-ageing and fighting diseases.
- Selenium repairs cellular damage, DNA and eliminates the spread of abnormal cell growth.
Phenolic compounds –
- Caffeic, chlorogenic and ferulic acids are polyphenols in sunflower seeds.
- provides health benefits such as reduced risk of chronic diseases.
- Also, it reduces cholesterol.
Antioxidants (Vit E)-
- protects against oxidative damage and reduces risk of chronic diseases.
- Being anti-inflammatory, it reduces the symptoms of asthma, gastric ulcers and arthritis.
- Vitamin E helps in readily clotting of blood and speeds up healing process.
- Also, it reduces the risk of diseases of heart and stabilizes blood sugar level.
- It reduces the inflammatory skin conditions like acne, eczema and psoriasis.
Dietary fibre –
- Aids in bowel movement.
- Reduces the possibility of digestion related problems.
- lowers the pressure of blood and is good for hypertensive patients.
- boosts immunity,
- good for pregnancy.
- Helps in production of new cells in body and is essential for growth and development of foetus.
- It lowers the chances of heart ailments.
B complex –
- promotes healthy nervous system,
- reduces stress, energizes the body,
- fight insomnia and arthritis.
- Also responsible to form haemoglobin in red blood cells.
- produces melanin that gives the skin its unique colour.
- lowers pressure of blood, reduces asthma and prevents migraine headaches.
- It is essential for strong bones both structurally and in strength.
- Have calming effect on brain and uplifts the mood.
- Tryptophan releases serotonin, a neurotransmitter which reduces tension and create relaxed feeling.
- supports memory and vision.
- stabilizes pressure of blood.
- Responsible for healthy heart.
- distributes oxygen to the muscles.
- Strengthens immune system and avoid coughs and cold.
2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds provide 40 percent of vitamin E daily requirement. Rich in antioxidants, it can be sprinkled on salads and eaten. It can also be eaten as sunflower seed butter that can replace other bread spreads, in smoothies and as homemade sauces too.
Raja Sunflowed Seed Nutritional Value
Nutritional value of sunflower seeds (100 gm) –
Energy 584 Kcal
Protein 20.78 gm
Fat 51.46 gm
Carbohydrate 20 gm
Dietary fiber 8.6 gm
Choline 55.1 mg
Betaine 35.4 mg
With respect to fatty acids, dehulled (without shell) seeds contains
4-36% palmitic acid, 0-9% palmitoleic acid, 2-29% stearic acid, 9-90% oleic acid and 2-65% linoleic acid.
Sunflower seeds are rich in alpha tocopherols (Vit E) and contains an average of 669 mg per kg of tocopherols. Out of which alpha tocopherol is 92.4%, beta tocopherol is 5.6% and gamma tocopherol is 2%.
Raja Sunflower Seed Storage
If buying shelled seeds, avoid the yellow ones as they become rancid. Store in an airtight container because it can turn sour due to high fat content. Store in refrigerator or in freezer. Freezing these seeds do not affect their flavour or texture.