CARBO VEGETABILIS (Vegetable Charcoal)
STAGNATION, Disintegration and imperfect oxidation is the keynote of CARBO VEGITABILIS.
Carbo Veg has marked action on gastro-intestinal disorders especially dyspepsia and flatulence. Simplest food disagrees due to weak digestion with excessive accumulation of gas in the stomach and intestine with frequent eructation. It is a remedy for acidity. There is a sensation as if the abdomen will burst open due to accumulation of excessive gas. Complaints worse by lying down, after eating and drinking, rich food and better from eructation and passing flatus. There is diarrhea and cadaverous smelling stool with burning in the rectum. Carbo veg is also useful in diarrhea of old people. Frequent stool with burning in rectum. Soft stool voided with difficulty. Carbo Veg is also useful in collapse stage of cholera. There is a desire to be constantly fanned rapidly and from a close distance with coldness of the extremities during cholera. Carbo Veg also helps in dysentry and hemorrhoids. Discharge of blood from rectum and bluish burning piles, with pain after stools
The typical Carbo patient is sluggish, fat and lazy sand has a tendency to chronicity in his complaints. Blood seems to stagnate in the capillaries, causing blueness, coldness and ecchymosis. Body becomes blue, icy-cold. Bacteria find a rich soil in the nearly lifeless stream and sepsis and typhoidal state ensues. A lowered vital power from loss of fluids, after drugging; after other diseases; in old people with venous congestions; states of collapse in cholera, typhoid; these are some of the conditions offering special inducements to the action of Carbo veg.
The patient of carbo vegitabilis may be almost lifeless, but the head is hot; coldness, breath cool, pulse imperceptible, oppressed and quickened respiration, and must have air, must be fanned hard, must have all the windows open. This is a typical state for Carbo veg. The patient faints easily, is worn out, and must have fresh air. Very debilitated. Patient seems to be too weak to hold out. Persons who have never fully recovered from the effects of some previous illness are suitable ones for carbo vegitabilis. There is a sense of weight, as in the head (occiput), eyes and eyelids, before the ears, in the stomach, and elsewhere in the body; putrid (septic) condition of all its affections, coupled with a burning sensation. General venous stasis, bluish skin, limbs are cold in carbo veg.
Carbo Veg is also useful in respiratory conditions. Cough with tingling and itching in larynx causing spasmodic cough with gagging and vomiting. There is hoarseness which is worse in the morning with rawness, soreness and burning. Wheezing and rattling of mucus in the chest. Breathing is laboured and there is a desire for constant fanning from a close distance. Carbo Veg is useful in bronchitis and neglected pneumonia when there is low vitality and the patient is debilitated with cold sweat, cold breath, cold tongue and voice lost. Carbo Veg is also indicated in skin conditions. Skin is cold, blue and ecchymosed. Itching of skin worse in the evening, when warm in bed. It is also useful in senile gangrene beginning in toes. Falling of hair due to general weakened condition. Carbo Veg also helps in bed sores, carbuncles, acne, and indolent ulcers. There is thin and offensive smell from ulcers.
- Anxiety from anticipation.
- Timid, need for stimulation, compelled to arouse himself.
- Irritability towards family members. Bad temper (Sepia).
- Fear of being alone in the evening, at night, in bed; of strangers, accidents, ghosts.
- Sees frightful images in the dark; anxiety on closing eyes.
- Indifference, not interested in anything (Phosphoric-acid, Sepia).
- Don't want to get up out of bed.
- Sudden periodical weakness of memory.
- Dullness, answers slowly, difficult concentration, confusion.
- Unconsciousness. Lies as if dead.
- FAINTING, COLLAPSE.
- CHILLY, COLD PERSPIRATION, cold breath, COLD, but wants to be FANNED.
- Complaints after severe acute illness or injury; loss of fluids, suppressed discharge, drugging.
- WEAKNESS, sudden lack stamina and reaction.
- Imperfect oxidation. Blood seems to stagnate: blueness, coldness, ecchymosis.
- Hemorrhages: dark, oozing.
- Better by discharges, FRESH AIR, FANNING.
- Worse by OVEREATING, Slight EXERTION, Lying flat, he need pillows.
Food and drinks
- Aversion: FAT.
- Desire: Salt, sweets.
- Worse by FAT.
- Headache from overheating, eating fat, worse lying, pressure of hat.
- Falling of hair after severe illness, parturition.
- Cold sweat on forehead.
- Sensation of heavy weight on eyes.
- Ailments from overexerting eyes.
- Vision of black floating spots.
- Mumps migrate to breast glands or testes.
- Epistaxis or nosebleed.
- Varicose veins on nose.
- Puffy, pale and cold with cold sweat.
- Heat after drinking wine.
- Cold breath, tongue.
- Bleeding gums.
- Scraping. Much mucus, easily brought up.
- Contraction, hinders swallowing.
- FLATULENCE, DISTENSION, amelioration by eructation and aggravation by lying down.
- Sense of fullness after a few mouthful.
- INDIGESTION from the simplest food.
- Heartburn. Ulcers. Cancer.
- FLATULENCE, DISTENTION better flatus.
- Abdomen feels as if hanging down.
- Colic, pain and tenderness in stomach.
- Diarrhea from fat and heavy food.
- Hemorrhoids: Blue, large, protruding, burning, offensive.
- Itching and moisture near scrotum.
- Swelling of testes from metastasis of mumps.
- Ejaculation too soon.
- Menses: too frequent, too copious, passive flow.
- Leucorrhoea before menses, irritating.
- Hoarseness, long lasting, worse evening, slight exertion.
- DYSPNOEA from BLOATEDNESS, aggravated by OVER-EATING and better by ERUCTATION, FANNING.
- Asthma with bloating stomach.
- Wheezing, rattling, Cheyne-Stokes respiration.
- Destructive lung diseases, oppression.
- Organic heart disease. Weak heart. Congestive heart failure.
- Internal burning heat.
- Coldness, Numbness, Weakness.
- Raynaud disease with numbness in fingers due to lack of blood circulation.
- Blue, cold, Cyanosis (bluish discoloration of skin) and Marbled skin.
- Ecchymosis (discoloration of the skin resulting from bleeding underneath).
- Indolent, varicose ulcers.
- Jaundice from overeating, from fat food.
- Arsenic, China, Drosera, Kali-carb, Lachesis, Phosphorus