About Chirayta Churna
Chirata is a flowering herbaceous plant that grows up to a height of 3 to 4 feet in the northern mountainous region of India and Bhutan. The ancient Vedic text Charaka Samhita mentions about this plant and enlisted its medicinal benefits. It has a bitter, hot and pungent taste. Its scientific name is Swertia Chirata. Chirata is power-packed with a number of ingredients that gives it its benefits. This healthy plant contains antioxidants, alkaloids and glycosides. The type of glycosides present are xanthones, palmitic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, chiratanin, xanthone, swertiamarin, amarogentin, chiratol, gentiopicrin, swertanone, swerchirin and certain other compounds
Ingredients of Chirayta Churna
- Chirayta - The plant is an erect annual. The stems are robust, branching, cylindrical below and 4-angled upwards, containing a large pith; the leaves are broadly lanceolate, 5-nerved and sub-sessile; the flowers occur in large panicles, are lurid greenish yellow, tinged with purple; the capsules are egg-shaped, many-sided, sharp-pointed; the seeds are smooth and many- angled. The drug (chirayta) is obtained from the dried plant.
Medicinal Properties of Chirayta Churna
Chirata has been seen to reduce fever caused due to cold and flu very efficiently. It also works on malarial fever, hysteria and convulsions. So the next time you feel unwell and run a temperature try having some chirata extract to get well sooner.
Protects the Liver
Chirata has hepatoprotective properties in abundance. The word hepatoprotective is self-explanatory (Hepato- related to liver + protective). It helps to get rid of toxins from the body and also contributes towards a healthy liver. It also helps in the regeneration of new liver cells.
Chirata helps to eliminate parasites like helminthes, roundworms, tapeworms and flukes from the body. It also helps to heal the symptoms caused due the parasite invasion in the body. Diarrhoea, anaemia of the lungs and liver and other such terrible side effects can be treated using chirata.
Chirata is the skins best friend. Their antioxidant property helps clear the skin. It comes handy in treating various skin conditions such as rashes, inflammation, itching, burning sensation and redness. It can also be diluted by mixing with water and used for cleaning oozing on the skin.
Chirata helps create more blood in the body. Anaemia can be treated using this plant. Anaemic conditions can lead to a list of health problems which can become serious to the extent of being life threatening. Anaemia is common in women as losing blood is a monthly affair for them. This takes a heavy toll on their body especially during and after pregnancy.
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease that has spread like wild fire due to increased stress, irregular food habits and improper lifestyle of this generation. Chirata helps reduce the amount of sugar present in the blood by stimulating the pancreatic cells to secrete more insulin.
Chirata due to the presence of powerful antioxidants prevents the precancerous lesions from progressing and puts a check on cancer. It is most effective in case of liver cancer. This is one of the most important properties of this plant as the search of remedies for cancer has been a matter of great priority among doctors and scientists.
Medicinal Indications of Chirayta Churna
Loss of Appetite
Dosage & Administration of Chirayta Churna
- One to two teaspoon twice a day with water
Precautions of Chirayta Churna
- In a few, it may cause diarrhoea, watery stools, abdominal pain and dehydration.
- Since sugar is added, this product is not recommended for diabetic people.
- People with diabetes, hypertension, sensitive stomach, ulcerative colitis, diarrhoea, should exercise caution while taking Avipattikar Choorna.
- Chirata is an extremely bitter plant. Some people can’t stand the bitterness and may vomit as an effect of it. While chirata works miracles to lower blood sugar it should be kept in mind that the sugar level does not fall below the desired limit. This shall lead to hypoglycaemia which can affect your health badly. Watch out for sudden dizziness, numbness of hand and feet after consuming chirata or its extract.
- It is not advisable for pregnant ladies and for children below 12 years, unless a doctor prescribes it.
- Store in a cool and dry place.